Thursday, July 7, 2011

Technologically Savvy


It’s been striking me as a little odd lately that I have somehow become a tech geek.  Not the kind of geek that has to have all the latest of every new technology out there (I still don’t have a smartphone, after all), but the kind that everyone asks how to make something work.  My mother-in-law, who lives next door to me, says I can never move, because she would never be able to work her own computer.  I found myself getting excited today over a small box delivered to my work: a brand new hand-held digital recording system.  I keep having to tear myself away from the manual to get my regular work done!

It didn’t used to be this way – my husband was the computer freak.  Games, systems, internet: he was the resident expert, not me.  I never learned how to use a proper computer (outside of typing class) until halfway through college.  And almost everything I know about computers I’ve taught myself.  I know that if I push enough buttons, I can figure out what to do.  I can’t explain that to someone else, but I know way more than enough to be dangerous.

Now, I’m the one who can (mostly) intelligently research a new computer program, or digital recording system, or wireless printer, and be able to figure it out with few headaches.  I’m addicted to live streaming, and honestly, the main reason I don’t have a Droid is because I’m afraid of how much time I would spend on it!  (I spend most of my day on the computer for work, and try to limit it at home because of that – when I can avoid eye contact with the laptop.)

I enjoy my tech knowledge – it helps me in the everyday of doing things.  I need to stop to consider, though: if I spent as much time with God and my family with the same amount of “face-to-face” time as I do with my computer screen, how much more impressive would those relationships be?  A lofty, but attainable, goal, and one I think I’ll be striving for….

No comments:

Post a Comment